Breathing

 

Breathing

 

I saw a tree breathe once,

Just once,

And I cried for the trees,

I had seen

Fallen to the axe.

I heard the sky moan once,

As it mourned,

And I cried for the sky,

When I heard it

Draw another breath,

To cry on its own.

I felt the earth groan,

Its pain my own,

As it trembled,

And prepares

To shake off

Damage already too deep.

I watched the sea heave,

To throw off

The dirty veil

That skins its surface,

And drowns the life it carries.

I see the mountains shake,

I see the lava flow,

I see the rivers swell,

I hear the end

Of a dominance

We have not earned,

And will not keep.

 

I saw a tree breathe once.

I will see another.

 

Cliff Lake 9/19/2024

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousand Horsemen

The Edge

Used Up 'n Dried Up