Another Time

 

Another Time

 

We were poor, no funds for fun,

Often through the park we’d run.

“Mother, can I ride the ride?”

“Another time.” she’d say, and I died.

 

Long ago in another world,

I found myself the only girl.

But when I asked her, “Be by my side.”

“Another time”, she said, and I died.

 

“Another time.” she said,

She said, “Another time.”

I’d carry these words to my bed,

But don’t believe that I was crying…

Maybe it was all in my head,

It was another time.

 

Many years have come and gone,

And often I have longed

For a second chance to try

Another time, maybe this time I will fly.

 

Now it’s late, I seem to hear

How many times the clocks have chimed.

In all the years the passing sigh,

“Another time”, they say, and I die.

 

“Another time.” I said,

I said, “Another time.”

I carry these words to my bed,

But don’t believe that I am crying…

Maybe it was all in my head,

It was another time.

 

Cliff Lake 7/27/2024

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousand Horsemen

The Edge

Used Up 'n Dried Up