Reminder

 

Reminder

 

Upon returning

From the store,

Something fluttered

To the floor.

A note it was,

Stuck in the door,

Yellowed it was,

And slightly tore.

 

Folded over,

Very creased,

A prank perhaps?

Someone’s caprice?

Easy dismissed but

Just the same,

I saw across

Was scrawled my name.

 

I opened it

Without concern

My joker’s name,

I hoped to learn.

The lines below

I did now scan

Written in

Familiar hand:

 

“The past has flown,

We let it be.

The future flies,

We cannot see.

Days come at us

One by one,

Live today,

Tomorrow comes.”

 

The words strangely

Had struck a chord.

As if I had once

Heard them before.

The source was shown,

At end I see

The note was signed,

Was signed by me.

 

I read the note

Perhaps three times,

Glad of the

Timely remind.

Then carefully

Folded once more,

To fall for me

From my front door.

 

Cliff Lake 12/31/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia