The Dark in the Day

 

The Dark in the Day

 

There is a shadow standing on the sidewalk.

It’s not real.

It can’t be real.

There it is.

 

It’s not mine.

I have mine.

Sitting beside me while I write.

It follows me when I go to check on the other.

 

It’s a man’s shadow.

It’s looking at me.

It’s looking at me with no eyes.

That’s not real.

 

There is no sun.

Gray November crawls.

The shadow is blacker yet.

It wants.

 

See the woman.

See her cross my shadow.

The void has her.

Unreality yawns wider.

 

School lets out soon.

A scream I do not hear.

It is mine.

I shall miss these children.

 

The police are here.

They know my name.

Where is the shadow?

What is real?

 

What now is real?

 

Cliff Lake 11/16/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia