Under Control

 

Under Control

 

The alarm on the phone

Tells me the day has begun.

A calendared event

I have given to the machine to hold.

My watch measures my motion,

Keeping my heart ever clocked.

My steps watched and counted,

And a suggested longer stroll.

 

Suggested only. Apps under my control.

 

The traffic lights assign my progress,

Camera-mounted, speed detected,

Seeking the unbelted,

Watching as the autos roll.

Warnings sound from the dash,

A tire slightly over a line.

Airbags at the ready,

Safety comes with its toll,

 

Allowances made for control.

 

Keycard programmed for entry,

Thus, the workday begins.

Make sure my badge is visible,

I am who am in plastic mold.

Log in to my machine in code,

Numbers more trusted than a smile.

Assignments are delivered digitally,

Records allow no loophole.

 

Electronically kept under control.

 

Minutes counted for consumption,

Activities compartmented by number.

A record of my incompetence,

Presented quarterly for a review told.

The constraints of a life modernized,

To free me up for the weeks’ vacation.

To get me the rest I need,

To keep me neatly in the fold…

 

 And I am losing control.

 

Cliff Lake 7/21/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia