Return to Grace

Return to Grace

 

She said she was a seeress,

And could show me what was lost.

And asked that I be fearless,

And could I bear the cost?

And peer behind the curtain,

And see forgotten when,

For she was not uncertain,

That they could be again.

 

She handed me the philter,

A brew mossy and dark,

I drank it unbewildered,

My surroundings made sure to mark.

Her smile some faint disquiet,

Her eyes steady and sure,

The room darkened to violet,

Until all became obscured.

 

A light before me opened,

A landscape did then unfold,

A music came like snow then,

Soft and light and cold.

It gripped me and it held me,

It’s singers came into view.

Something then unspelled me,

These carolers I knew.

 

Fair and proud and stern and tall,

They moved in easy precision,

Their melody had me in thrall,

But I regret not my decision.

I strode my way toward them,

Their ranks parted and made way,

Then I was one among them,

And we marched until midday.

 

We came to the encampment,

The foe arrayed below.

But we fell to some enchantment,

Then all became tableau.

I watched as from a distance,

I saw conjury stripped away,

My company put up no resistance,

I saw a golden world go gray.

 

Then the vision faded from me,

Just the witch and I in gloom,

I could only shake my head numbly,

And gaze around the room.

She caught my eye then sternly,

“Too much was lost that day.

We will see those days returning.

Magic again in play.”

 

So, I sit with the old seeress,

And I learn now my true trade.

And envision a world that’s peerless,

Not like ours draped all in shade.

When power flows from heart and helm,

And life is not weighty,

When we can build the lighted realm,

And all are finally free.

 

 Cliff Lake 7/26/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia