Caution - Cliff Ahead

Caution – Cliff Ahead

 

I visited a town

Close upon a swamp

Overlooked by a low cliff

That had been avoided

For the danger it did present.

Some time had passed

Many years since anyone was lost

And the hazard became a rumor

And a tale to frighten children with.

Now a manager was named among them

To bring the town prosperity

And he would expand the town

In all directions on the map.

But he was unacquainted

With lands beyond his borders

And I tried to tell him

There were things that he could learn.

But he spoke back at me

With a voice laden with scorn

That he was of high station

And therefore knew more than me.

I tried then to remind him

That I had passed through other lands

And had seen things along my way.

I pointed to a sign that he didn’t read,

Because he had been told the sign was written

By people trying to take from him

Things he did not own.

He was so angered

By this potential loss of value,

He forbade the entire town

To learn to read or write.

So new ground was broken

And borders expanded

Until the town was close by the cliff.

The people were so cozy

And secure in their surroundings

That nightly ramblings were encouraged

For their distraction and delight.

Soon the more bold began to be missing

Though no enemy was at the gate.

And many accusations were heedlessly thrown about,

Many persecutions were advanced against the weak,

While from the swamp fetid odors rose.

I left the town behind me

Before the fires started

And caused many signs posted

To warn against going that way.

And though the stench still remains there,

Some find themselves attracted

By the promise of things

That had never really been.

 

Cliff Lake 5/20/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia