Lately

 

Lately

 

I went outside to fetch the paper.

There were less birds

Than I remembered.

They flew harder and harder

As they tried to get away.

I asked the man

Across the road

If he had seen the same.

He pointed at the mourning sun, saying,

“It’s late out.”

 

The news I read seemed darker

Than I wanted to remember.

The words hit harder

With all they had to say.

I had many things to ask

But it was just the paper

So, I put it away.

But the Clock was face up

Its hands nearly straight up to say,

“It’s late out.”

 

The day seemed darker

Than I remembered

And as I walked

It seemed harder and harder

To find my way.

I asked the man

As we stood at a crossroads

If he thought the same.

He pointed at the signs and said,

“It’s late out.”

 

I hurried home

But it was colder than I remembered.

I wanted its comfort, but it was harder

To find solace

In a deepening dark.

I asked myself

As I stared out at the crumbling roads

If anything would ever be the same.

The only answer was the ticking clock…

And it’s getting late out.

 

Cliff Lake 4/19/2023

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2023

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia