Futility/Utility - Phase 1: Way Station

 

Futility/Utility - Phase 1

Way Station

 

The old man stopped me running,

Racing for the train.

His eyes looked at me blearily,

But with wisdom unexplained.

 

He said, “I’ve got a story for you,

From not so long ago.

Something that will carry you,

Something you won’t outgrow.”

 

And he sat me down beside him,

As his eyes they filled with tears,

And he told me of futility,

And the wasting of his years.

 

He told of his chasing wealth,

What happened when he cashed in,

He told me of his failing health,

And what he didn’t win.

 

Tales of serving just oneself,

How that leaves you all alone.

Tales of walled-off heart, put on the shelf,

Of a soul frozen to stone.

 

He said’ “I see you freezing there,

You slowly turn to ice.”

He said, “You’d better have a care,

Look at me, I am the price.”

 

He told me until the sun went down,

But when I looked up, he was gone.

And all I have is dimming memory,

But his tales still seem so strong.

 

And the moon rose up above me,

And the tides came rolling in.

And the stars shone in the darkling skies,

Despite all of my sin.

 

And Time will take me dancing,

To the end of all my days;

So I’ll do some good while I still can,

Before this body frays.

 

Cliff Lake 8/5/2022

Copyright © Clifford Lake 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia