A Summer Comment

 

A Summer Comment

 

Another day of work in summer,

My muscles ache and sweat,

Baking at home ‘cuz the AC’s out,

My brain’s on fire yet.

Three days of work left this week,

With the heatwave not topped out,

And no, my dear, those are not tears,

That’s sweat that accentuates my pout.

 

And so, I sit and say things like:

“Shit, it’s really fucking hot.”

I might as well you know because hell, you know,

I can smell my feet begin to rot.

I should be thankful though, it’s not winter so,

My heating bill’s real low.

But just the same, I’d be just as sane,

If it were twenty below.

 

Oh, heat is fine, in fact heat’s divine,

When viewed from winter’s chill.

But face it folks, it’s a heavy yoke,

Just look at your electric bill.

Now I LIKE summer and flowers and green,

And birds singing in the trees,

But I don’t like sweating or heat-dazed forgetting,

Brought on by a hundred degrees.

 

What can you say to me, that magic remedy,

That will cure these Faran-heights?

The season’s change: weather rearranged,

Will give us our respite.

So, I’ll wait and recheck the date,

October will draw nigh.

And just roast here and become toast here,

And try not to liquify.

 

Cliff Lake 7/17/1997

Copyright © Clifford Lake 1997

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But...

House of Shame

Saturday in Magadonia